Population is now an open science journal
Press release Published on 27 June 2022
Available in both English and French, the entire content of Population is now freely accessible online from the day of issue!
Founded in 1946, Population is an international scientific journal published by the French Institute for Demographic Studies (Institut national d’études démographiques [INED]), a public research centre for the population sciences. Population is the leading French demographic journal, with a worldwide readership. It is published simultaneously in both English and French, and comes out quarterly in print and electronic formats.
From 2022, in accordance INED’s open science policy, the journal is adapting to a new set of norms:
• Immediate open access to all articles via the Cairn-int.info and Cairn.info platforms
• Preservation of authorship rights for all authors
• Creative Commons licences to facilitate article reuse and dissemination
• Flexible dissemination via open archives
• Access to online appendices and supplementary materials
• New feature: Data Papers
• Data sharing based on FAIR data principles
This transition to open science is part of the new ‘Subscribe to Open’ programme developed by Cairn in partnership with a consortium of French university libraries (COUPERIN), the Bibliographic Agency for Higher Education (Agence Bibliographique de l’Enseignement Supérieur [ABES]), and the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (MESR).
Selected as a pilot journal for this programme, from 2022 Population will receive support from these organizations to publish its articles on Cairn-int.info (in English) and Cairn.info (in French) without submission or processing charges for the authors or their institutions (Diamond model). Publication conditions will comply with the guidelines of cOAlition S and the French national open science plan.
Thanks to the support of the programme promoters, Population will continue to meet the high scientific standards that have forged its reputation:
• Rigorous scientific assessment by an editorial board and double-blind external peer review
• Translation of all accepted papers from English to French (or French to English) at INED’s expense and by translators specialized in demography and the social sciences
• Editing and formatting in English and French by professional editors and layout specialists to ensure optimal clarity and readability of texts, figures, and tables
• International reach, with articles accessible in HTML and PDF format on a range of platforms (Cairn, JSTOR, MUSE, EBSCO)
For more information on the journal’s new open access policy, see: http://www.journal-population.com