THESIS : Singular paths, plural countryside. The spatial embedding of migrants in low density areas of metropolitan France.
Supervisors : France Guérin-Pace (Paris 1, INED) et Christophe Imbert (PR U. of Rouen, IDEES)
Abstract: An essential and long-lasting component of French society, migrant populations have been growing in number in the countryside and cities since the 1970s. While most works on residential migration to the countryside and on the geographical paths of migrants rarely foreground rural and suburban settlements, this dissertation focuses specifically on the spatial settling of migrants in low density areas of metropolitan France. This project aims to understand the articulation of the increasing variety of migrants’ individual paths, and their settling in spaces undergoing deep changes. Using statistical analysis of census data (1968-2015) and a biographical study (Histoire de Vie, Insee, 2003), this project recounts the development of the geography of migrants in low density areas in the last fifty years. This dissertation uncovers a multilayered process by which migrant populations have become less concentrated in the countryside. This process is characterized in part by the emergence of new destinations for migration in Western France, and by the rise in internal migrations towards the outer periphery of large urban centers since the 2000s. This spatial dynamic is often accompanied by the diversifying social profiles of migrants in low density areas. In the context of the globalization of the countryside, these processes can in some cases lead to the development of a rural cosmopolitanism. Therefore, this dissertation provides a lens that decenters urban areas in our analysis of immigration in France, while adding to our knowledge of the social diversity of France’s countryside.
Fromentin Julie. 2017. « Book review : Fischer Nicolas, Hamidi Camille, 2016, Les politiques migratoires, Paris, La Découverte, Repères, 127 p », Population , 72 (2), p. 370-371
- May 2018 | "L'immigration dans les espaces peu denses en France métropolitaine: réflexions méthodologiques et premiers résultats sur les mobilités récentes", Réunion de l'UR "Identités et territoires des populations ,INED, Paris.
- May 2018, with Przybyl S. | "Diversité de l'habitat des migrants en milieu rural : approche méthodologique et résultats exploratoires", Le Logement et l'Habitat. Journées d'étude "Jeunes chercheur-e-s" REHAL 2018 , Toulouse, France.
- April 2018 | "Provincializing Migration Studies : Are There Non-Metropolitan Gateways of Immigration in France ?", American Association of Geographers - Annual Meeting , New Orleans
- April 2018, with Guérin-Pace F. | "Rural Areas in Immigrants' Trajectories in France : a Common or Special Feature ?", American Association of Geographers - Annual Meeting , New Orleans
- March 2018 | "Des migrations comme les autres ? Les migrations internes des immigrés dans les campagnes françaises (2011-2015)", Colloque Espace, Populations, Sociétés ... en Mouvements , Université de Lille, France
- June 2017 (poster) | "International and Internal Migrations of Immigrants as a Key Indicator of Rural Change in France", European Rural Geographies Conference 2017 - "New Rural Geographies in Europe : Actors, Processes, Policies" , Brunswick, Germany