European Research Council
EUROPEAN RESEARCH COUNCIL (ERC)
The European Research Council (ERC) is a funding organisation for frontier research. It aims to stimulate scientific excellence in Europe by funding the very best, creative researchers of any nationality and age, and supporting their innovative ideas. Researchers from anywhere in the world can apply for ERC grants provided the research they undertake will be carried out in an EU Member State or Associated Country. As such, INED can host your project.
ERC projects, for a duration of up to 5 years, receive a funding of up to €2.5 million for researchers already established in Europe and up to €3 million for researchers moving to Europe.
Who and why?
Researchers of any nationality and from all scientific disciplines are eligible to apply to the ERC, which provides 3 funding schemes depending on the level of experience of the applicant as well as a scheme dedicated to collaborative research:
- ERC Starting Grants for researchers in a time window of 2 to 7 years after the PhD
- ERC Consolidator Grants for researchers in a time window of 7 to 12 years after the PhD
- ERC Advanced Grants for active researchers with a track-record of significant research achievements in the last 10 years
- ERC Synergy Grants for groups of 2 to 4 researchers bringing together complementary skills
How to apply?
Check INED’s website to identify the research team ensure that your project is in line with the research activities conducted at INED
Prepare your application with support from INED’s Office for International Affairs and Partnerships
Submit your application on the European Commission portal by the deadline:
- October 2023 for ERC Starting Grants
- February 2024 ERC Consolidator Grant
- 25th of May 2023 for ERC Advanced Grants
- November 2023 for ERC Synergy Grants
Proposals are evaluated by selected international peer reviewers who evaluate proposals on the basis of excellence as the sole criterion. It will be applied to the evaluation of both the research project and the Principal Investigator in conjunction.